Individual - 29 September 2006
Sponsored by: Kingswood Hotel
55 Rodwell Road, Weymouth, Dorset, DT4 8QX
1. David Mason 2 2 3 2 = 9
2. Lee Smethills 3 3 1 3 = 10
3. Adam Filmer 1 2 X N = 3
4. Sam Martin 0 0 0 3 = 3
5. Chris Johnson 3 3 2 3 = 11
6. Gary Cottham 0 1 1 2 = 4
7. Terry Day N N N N = 0
8. Dean Felton 2 2 3 0 = 7
9. Harland Cook 1 1 2 2 = 6
10. Sam Hurst 3 X X N = 3
11 George Piper X N N N = 0
12. Michael Coles 2 3 3 1 = 9
Jamie Pickard 1 1 X F = 2
Referee: Dave Robinson
1. Smethills, Mason, Filmer, Martin, 56.6
2. Johnson, Felton, Pickard, Cottham, 56.4
3. (awarded) Hurst, Felton, Cook, Piper (f.exc), no time
4. Johnson, Mason, Cook, Martin, 56.1
5. (re-run) Smethills, Felton, Cottham, Hurst (f.exc), 57.8
6. Coles, Filmer, Pickard, Day (n/s), 59.4
7. (awarded) Mason, Cook, Cottham, Pickard (f.exc), no time
8. Coles, Johnson, Smethills, Martin, 57.5
9. (re-run) Felton, Pickard (f), Filmer (f.exc), Hurst (f.exc),
10. Smethills, Mason, Coles, Felton, 56.7
11. Martin, Cottham, Day (n/s), Piper (n/s) 59.1
12. Johnson, Cook, Filmer (n/s), Hurst (n/s), 57.6
Semi-Finals and Final abandoned after the track lights failed on
turn 4 following a very heavy shower.
Result declared from points scored in heats.
1st Chris Johnson
2nd Lee Smethills
3rd Michael Coles
With thunder and lightning all around and the ever present threat
of rain, referee Dave Robinson pushed on and managed to get right
up to the semi finals when the heavens opened. After a short delay
it appeared to be all systems go with the track still raceable,
but water had got into the electrics and caused the lights on turn
four to blow. With a large part of the track in darkness there was
no option but to abandon the planned three race finale to the meeting
and declare Chris Johnson the winner.
Heat one got off to a flying start with David Mason beating Lee
Smethills out of the gate but undeterred Smethills fought back and
overhauled the Wildcats skipper. Chris Johnson took an easy win
in heat two getting his night off to a good start. George Pipers
night didnít go so well in heat three, with Sam Hurst looking set
to take the win the young Wildcat reserve lifted and ploughed into
the fence on the home straight.
Heat four saw the battle of the Wildcats heat leaders, Mason beat
Johnson out of the gate but Johnson had the inside line and used
that to move the skipper wide and claim the lead that he held to
the chequered flag.
Veteran Michael Coles got his first win of the night in heat six
and was the only man on the night to take a point off Chris Johnson
when he beat him to the flag in heat eight. Johnson had to battle
through from third place, getting the better of the impressive Smethills
on lap two but Coles was gone.
Heat ten looked like being a cracker with Mason, Smethills and Coles
all out; Smethills made the gate, with Mason close behind but he
couldnít get the better of the Premier League Berwick rider.
Chris Johnson scored his third and crowning victory in the twelfth,
water from a heavy shower just after that heat caused the track
lights to fail bringing an end to racing for the evening and this
season at Weymouth.